Thursday, December 3, 2009

HW 27 - Informal Research - Interviews and Surveys

Alright, so I asked my family, friends, and random strangers what they think it means to be cool, and surprisingly they all didn’t say what you said they would. Albeit most of them did, but there was 2 examples who didn’t. The first person that I interviewed on the street gave me the best interview of all of them. When I walked up to him and started the interview and said something about the “cool” unit he laughed, he said, “I don’t think I am the right person to be asking.” I said, “why not, I just want to know what you think “cool” is.” He responded with, “to me a cool person is someone who is courteous, outgoing and friendly, it doesn’t matter what they wear or what race they are, its about the personality to me.” When I asked about someone who was popular or badass, he laughed and said, “hey as long as they are courteous and friendly I don’t really care.” I didn’t really realize the power of those words as first but now when I think about it I really start to think about it, I really realize the power behind his words. They could be deaf, blind, rich, poor, short, tall, pretty, ugly, to him it wouldn’t matter as long as they were courteous, I like that, I mean everyone has their cracking point but at least he didn’t give me some bulls*&$ answer about individualism or being rich like most of the other strangers did. They all wanted some one funny, this guy was just looking for a good friend or something like that. He seemed like a pretty cool guy too. The other person who I interviewed was my mother, usually, we don’t have big thanksgiving dinners with the family, because, well we don’t really have a big family, so we spend it in the New York Rescue Mission. Besides, she is the coolest person I know. What she said was that being cool was being self-assured. Not in like a jackass way, but in a way where you are ok in your own skin. Whether this was on your list or not, it came from my mother and to me, that means more then anything. What I am trying to get at, is that your right, if you want to be able to catagorize everyone then yes there is definitely a category for everyone. But not everyone is going to willingly be put there, sometimes people don’t act like you think they would, that’s why, by the bible’s standards, no man is god, it is a being that can be everyone and everything because one man can’t see through everyone’s eyes.

1 comment:

  1. cool, cool
    also, glad to have u with us at new york city rescue mission, which is america's first (and maybe coolest) rescue mission. if u or any of ur peeps have a query i'll cop cool responses at jlittle@nycrescue.org.

    ReplyDelete