Sunday, October 25, 2009

Hw 14 Second Text

I read the two shorter stories from the book Everything Bad is Good For You by Steven Johnson and main arguments of the two different selections is that we as a nation are becoming more sophisticated by force and dumber by choice. We as a nation are becoming more dependant on complicated shows to challenge us but more difficult video games require cheat-sheets. We are willing to pay big bucks for these games but are not willing to do any of the work that real life requires.
To be completely honest, if i was never told that i would have never thought about it. I would have never even considered how much different modern t.v shows are then the ones from a long time ago, or how i cant play a video game without cheating or playing on the easiest level. I want to be challenged when i watch t.v but i cant stand challenges in video games.
I mean these articles directly related to my life by showing me who i am, but the scariest thing is that the article wasn't just talking about me, it was talking about my generation and how we are all the same. We are all close minded idiots. No matter how hard we try we are all groomed the same way and have the same basic mindset in one way or another. Maybe i don't dress to impress everyone. But i do play a video game on an easier level to impress myself.
What i do disagree with is that the people who are writing this are the people who are from a generation and are talking down to us like we are less then them because we go about our lives differently. They read while we spent our time on the computer, so they are better, smarter and more sophisticated. The fact still remains that we will one day take over from them and frown down upon the other generation. Everyone has their weak point. Its all about how you go about presenting it.

Feed talks about how we are giving into Digitalization and how it will take us over. This shows how it is changing us, not for the better and not for the worse. Just improving some things while taking other aspects away from us. Feed shows us that too much will corrupt us and cause a total take over by the advertising powers. But Everything Bad Is Good For You is outlining how our lives are changing. Not scaring us into changing. Just opening our eyes and complimenting us while pointing out that some things need to be handled.
We are becoming more sophisticated and yet we are deteriorating into a more simple and less usable mechanic device. We need to start challenging ourselves and keep pushing our selves to thing harder, or we will become incredibly smart but have no drive to do any better then we were before. This will push us no where. We need to continue to be human, but on whose terms?

1 comment:

  1. Sam, I think that in all of your posts you are able to articulate your points clearly and thoughtfully. Your post for homework 14 was particularly good becuase in my oppinion the true test of a good writer is the ability to keep the reader interested and if appropriate entertained. Your posts most certainly pass the test. I especially liked what you wrote in about our generation being mindless idiots who all dress alike and can't even complete a video game without cheats. It got me to consider the possibility that our generation could be the dumbest, but then I thought about it and I totally disagree. Something to think about: If our generation is the dumbest then why has our generation been the most accepting of cross culture relations homosexuality and excepting scientific theories like evolution? Regardless I think that you articulated your point well.
    For your post on homework 13 I found myself agreeing with most of what you were saying. I think that you are 100% right that art is in the eyes of the beholder, and I think that giving the example of the Picasso piece is a great example. I also agree with what you said about Feed in that one person could take away something from Feed that knowbody else would even think about. You also wrote about a class discussion where Andy made a point of saying that agknowledgeing his own ignorance mad him smarter then all of us. You then said the enlightenment isnt something you go after it simply comes to you or something of that affect. Honestly I disagree with both points. I think that enlightenment is something you persue and I think that being enlightened about something doesnt necessarily make you smarter, in fact I would argue that people who say that they were enlightened are the dumbest of the lot. To Andys point about his own ignorance I dont think that makes you smarter at all, I think that persuing the areas in your life that you are ignorant on and educating your self is what makes you smarter not admitting defeat to something that your unable to define.
    Your post 12 about Feed and your post 11 about your experiment were both very interesting. I liked the part where you said that anyone could make the arguement that we dont appreciate the little things in life. Your totally right because the arguement is a total cliche. As for your experiment I did a similar one and had similar feelings about the experiment. I can totally relate on the feeling of bordem and wanting the whole experience to just end. Good post.
    Overall I think that you are a great writer and make very well thought out posts and its not just the same old shit its orginal and and its interesting and I give you credit for that. However I do think that there are some improvements that you could make. I would have liked to see you elaberate on why you think are generation is so dumb and furthermore what specifically caused this lack of intelect. Also I would have liked to hear a little more about your experiment and how would you go about it if you had to do it again, or something like that. Overall as I said great work.

    ReplyDelete