Sunday, October 4, 2009

HW 10 informal research internet

http://www.somewhatfrank.com/2005/06/are_cell_phones.html
This piece links cell phones, which are our life line and blood and exposing some of their potential risks and hazards. Cell phone companies say that we can only absorb so much radio frequency energy without it being harmful to our brain. But what defines too much? When is too much? Are these life lines of ours going to kill us?

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/are-mobile-phones-wiping-out-our-bees-444768.html
This is a blog about how like they are disrupiting our brain tissue, cell phones are also disrupting bees and killing them off. They are saying that the radiation is disrupting the way they see and making it harder for them to navigate and in essance killing them. So now my question is why all of a sudden is this happening? Why aren't the refriderators or freezers killing them because they give of 10 times the radiation that the cell phones give off? Is this part of some bigger plot?

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/families/article3805196.ece
In the first paragraph this story address some really interesting ideas.  It discuss how people don't believe the planes hitting the twin towers existed.  Then she addresses the Nobody Syndrome, which is a mass loss of personality.  Everyone is so used to reading everything on the internet and then taking what they know from that, instead of from people or friends.  So they adopt an internet personality.  Which isn't really a personality at all.  So if  we are all equal then isn't that what we want?  Or is too much?  Do we really want everyone to be equal or the same?  What defines equal?  When will this be too far?  

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/google
Is google making us stupid?  That is the main idea of artical.  People are loosing their interests in things and because of that attention spans are shortening and what was once a great generation of learners and readers has become a generation of skimmers and scanners.  No one wants to read anything through and since that is happening we are loosing our knowledge.  We are learning more varity but less in depth.  So are we really loosing our minds.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banksy
This is the story of the graffitti artist named Banksy.  He is famous in england and throughout the world for his stencils that question the society that we live in.  He leaves messages that are obvious but no one can say.  Or better yet no one knows how to say.  So if we loose ourselves to the internet, will we loose this form of art too?  What price is there to pay for creating something and saying something out loud.  Is Banksy the real life Anonymous?   

1 comment:

  1. To Sam J,

    Wow Sam, I am glad that Andy gave us this assignment to read through our parnter's blog. I bet all your blogs are amazing but I went from the order of the blogs and I have to say, "Assignment 10, Informal Research Internet," you did a pretty amazing job. The tone of your paper seem so "real" it is like you are so fierece while you are writing your arguement.

    You found some great sources to research about. Your first link/paragraph about how companies say that cell phones and radios are a great techonlogies that wont harm your brain. I think that is bullshit. Each time I make a call to my friend or family, the line waves always makes my head dizzy. I also remember that my dad said that when you are calling someone, dont have your phone next to your ear for 20 second until you reach the line, or else it will damage your ears or head.

    Like what your second link/paragraph said, cell phones are able to disrupt our brain tissue. And I never know that cell phones are able to kill bees. This link is interesting... Phone kills bees? How is that even possible? I know that bee will stink the shit outta you if you go near it, but a cell phone? Wont that make the bee more mad? Very interesting. I think I will use [your] link for my final essay.

    And for your final paragraph, your fourth link. How is google making us stupid? I think google is making people look stupid. Google is a site that million of people use for reasearch.... including teachers, presidents, Bloomberg.. whoever. We are not loosing our knowledge at all, we are gaining them.

    Sam, thanks a lot. I know what i am going to use for my final essay. Thank you very much. Your blog number 10 is awesome. I just think you should interpret each paragraph even more, but for each paragraph you gave us like the topic of the sources. Good thoughts and developments.

    Oh yeah! i also glance at your assignment, "Self Experiment," and I have to say; that's how I feel when my mom took away the cable t.v, my ipod and my video games system. The only thing i could do was read and do homework. Computer was only use for research and homework. It was an horrible feeling. I couldnt even watch the NBA Finals, not able to talk to my girlfriend, and couldnt fall asleep without my ipod. By looking at that one paragraph, makes me understand and feel your experiment. Next time, I want more writing, my man. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete