Saturday, September 12, 2009

This new electronic world

Now i am not going to blow any smoke here, before writing this i spent way to much time on this computer surfing the internet, listening to music and talking to friends. Now where does this get me? Nowhere is the answer, but why is that such a problem? I understand that not ever doing anything is a problem, but why cant we have day off to relax on the internet and look up funny pictures or go shopping or do whatever people do on the internet. 

I know that i am a big fan of Fmylife.com and youtube.com. Both of those sites bring me endless amusement and put a smile on my face. But now what people are saying is that these computers and cell phones are making us stupid but i have the perfect example of why they are the best thing that could have happened. 

One day i was in union square and i was with some friends when suddenly i get a bunch of texts from different people telling me that an airplane just crashed into the river. Just as soon as they knew, i knew. And then i passed the information along. But without texting or the computers i would never have known until i got home. 

But what if it were more serious. Like there was a bomb scare near where i was. I like having a little device in my pocket that provides a link to a world of possibilities. On it i can read the news and check my emails. Everyone knew about Michael Jackson's death sooner because it was all over facebook. Through all these little things we become more in the know about the world around us. Call me crazy but i don't think that is too terrible.

2 comments:

  1. Sam, I enjoyed reading your post about digital technology. I think that your personal take on the subject and speaking almost in a "day in the life" perspective. That perspective made your blog particularly unique. I also liked how you talked about getting the news even without using any news sources. Although you spoke well of how the internet has worked for you the only piece of criticism that I would say was that you didn't seem to take one side and defend it in regards to the general affect of digital media on society. Still great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks will, that really made me feel like i actually said something important. I mean well at least that my idea was valid. And thank you for letting me know that i need to start making my arguments more one sided and prove a point rather then just stating some random facts that don't convince anyone. To me it seems that the idea of news from friends and online factors need to be investigated. Probably something to look into. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete